Friday, May 20, 2016

Makeover Monday 5

 

We have a local thrift store that just recently moved to a new location across the street from where they were. The day I stopped in was their grand opening day, which I hadn’t realized when I turned into their parking lot. I soon found out. After finally managing to find a parking spot, I hesitantly walked in. I have never seen a thrift store so full of people! I almost walked right back out but my curiosity drove me on. Some of the aisles literally had a line you had to stand in to walk through. Anyway, I did find some great bargains so it was well worth the chaos.

I found this coffee table and instantly claimed it.

IMG_2824

I wasn’t fond of the basket weave drawers, so I tore that off, along with the trim around them.

IMG_2825

I made my own chalk paint for this piece. I used un-sanded grout to make it.

If you have my book, you will find the recipe in there, along with two other recipes using plaster of paris and calcium carbonate.

I gave the table two coats of chalk paint and topped it with a new product I absolutely love called bowling alley wax.

th

I also covered the drawer fronts with contact paper and trimmed them with thin strips of wood.

Here is the after..

IMG_2882

IMG_2883

I love how smooth the surface feels with the wax on it.

IMG_2884

Again the before and after..

IMG_2824

IMG_2875

Never overlook an ugly old piece of furniture. It may have potential!

This table will also be at the vintage fair, as will most of the makeovers I have been posting.

Happy Monday!

-Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment