I was thrilled when I learned photos can be transferred onto wood or almost any surface. (Thanks, Pinterest)!
I read a few different techniques on how to do this and thought it sounded a little complicated. I even had my doubts that it would work for me, but amazingly enough it turned out pretty good!
I dug through my stash of old doors and found the perfect one, not too big and not to small.
I then went to Staples to print out a few pictures. The reason I didn’t use my own inkjet printer is that this mod podge method will only work with laser printers! ( I have since tried it using my inkjet printer and it didn’t work for me.)
I got these printed out on regular copy paper, black and white. It cost mere cents per picture. Oh, and you need to ask them to print them out in reverse, so that once transferred they will be right.
I bought some mod podge image transfer in Walmart.
I trimmed the images the size I wanted them. ( You will need to trim any white borders off since they will show up.)
Next I spread mod podge evenly over the first picture. It seemed a little scary to just cover it up like this!
I used a bristle brush to distribute, but I imagine any brush would do.
I then placed the image, mod podge side down on the door. I tried to press out any air bubbles, but it was kind of hard to get them all. For this project it was okay, since it ended up giving it an aged look.
Now comes the hard part for me.. leaving it set for 24 hours! After I had mod podged all the pictures, I slid the door under our bed. (I thought out of sight out of mind.) :/ I could hardly wait until the next afternoon!
Finally the time came.. I wet a rag and laid it on one of the images for a minute or two.
I then proceeded to gently rub the paper off, using the wet rag.
I was amazed how the image stayed on the door! I tried to be careful ad not rub to hard, as the image can be rubbed off too.
After I had all three pictures finished and they were dry, I applied a coat of matte mod podge sealer.
Next time I will probably use polycrylic to seal images like this since the mod podge yellowed a little. It fits the old look I wanted so it’s okay for this door, but I feel a satin, Minwax polycrylic wouldn’t yellow at all.
Oh, and I rubbed off some of the image around the edges to give it an old look.
The finished project…
After adding hooks I was finished!
I really enjoyed doing this project and I’m sure it won’t be the last time I experiment with mod podge!
Thanks for visiting!