Sunday, November 18, 2012

Fake Fireplace Mantle

 

Ok, so what if I’ve always wanted a mantle to decorate and knew it was virtually impossible that we would at this time actually install a fireplace… I thought what’s wrong with having a mantle anyhow? Who needs the fireplace? I would love to have one someday though, but for now I’ll settle with just the mantle. Here are the easy steps I took to making a rustic, rather simple one…

IMG_6867

First I lay down pieces of wood on the floor to kinda visualize how I wanted it to look. I had measured the wall in the living room where I wanted it to go so I knew how wide I wanted it to be. I went online to see what the standard height of one is. I didn’t make it high like some since we don’t have high ceilings in our house.

IMG_6869

It’s hard to tell in this picture but I kept laying down boards and cutting them to fit how I thought it looked best.

IMG_6870

IMG_6872

IMG_6868

After I had all the boards cut, I swept them off & sanded them. They were very dirty since they came from a barn. Was also a little worried about the smell but since they are now painted I don’t notice any animal odors. :/

Next I laid them all down again exactly how I wanted them and used an air nailer to pin the boards together. I also always glue everything with a good wood glue.

It was pretty heavy when all the boards were fastened. I didn’t attach the big mantle shelf until later.

The next step was painting it. I carried it in on the deck to paint.

IMG_6873

IMG_6874

After applying putty to all the holes, I gave it a couple coats of white satin paint. Then it was ready to install!

IMG_6923

I did distress the edges and ended up making doors to fit into the opening. I thought it was just too much of a give away that there’s not a fireplace there without the doors.

And finally, the fun part of decorating it!…

IMG_7254

5 comments:

  1. Hi, found this on Pinterest. Simple and sweet, just what I had visualized! Hoping to get one made from pallet wood soon for a perfect little spot in our bedroom. DH is the builder and I'm the painter/finisher. Thanks for the tutorial!

    CyndyB
    East Texas

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this and think I will try my hand at it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your work! I found an antique oak fireplace mantle at the thrift store for $49. I added some old doors off an antique cabinet, behind the opening of the fireplace, painting it white! I don’t have your building skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so creative!! Love ur videos on You Tube!

    ReplyDelete