Monday, June 29, 2015

A Gray and White Bedroom

 

For a few years our master bedroom had been a lot of white with a splash of cottagey blue…

IMG_0879

Also included was the headboard that I made using an old door…

IMG_0870

I loved the look, but our bedroom isn’t very big and the headboard took up a lot of room. I had about one wall that was suitable for the bed and to me, that’s a little scary, since I couldn’t rearrange the furniture now and then. I also tired of the blue accents and knew the room needed a new look.

So, I thought of what I had around here to use. I didn’t want to spend a lot of money on the makeover.

The duvet and shams had a blue strip of fabric sewn on them, which I discovered could be torn off without too much hassle. I quickly did that and washed them so the little needle holes would disappear.

I sewed a few cushion covers and covered some pillows I had around here.

I wandered through storage and my eyes were drawn to these roman shades that I’d stored for a number of years…

IMG_6121

I painted them white, using my sprayer. After that, I used a paint brush to apply gray painted stripes. It took some time but I loved the end result.

IMG_6124

IMG_6125

I found two industrial looking lamp shades in a flea market that I knew would land in our bedroom. They were a dull silver finish so I spray painted them gray.

IMG_6122

Hubby kindly bent some conduit for me, to hold the shades. I also painted those pieces gray. (This will make sense later on.)

The wall beside the bed needed something big hanging on it. Partially to cover some scuffs & nail holes and partially because the wall was just too bare and big. I knew I wanted to display pictures on that wall but I wasn’t sure how. So a few Pinterest pages later I found what I wanted.. a mod podge image transfer technique. I will share a tutorial on this later.

Oh, and lets not forget the old wooden gates that I had made a few years ago for our porch. They have a major part in this makeover.

So,again, here is a before picture ( not a very good pic, but you can kinda tell how it looked)..

IMG_0864_thumb1

Now, the after…

IMG_6215

IMG_6214

The room seemed to grow after removing the big door headboard! As you can see, we used the wooden gates to mount the conduit for the lights. Hubby made so we each have our own personal light switches within easy reach, which I love!

I like the cozy glow when the lights are turned on..

IMG_6252

I used painted suitcases as a night stand…

IMG_6224

As you can see, these pictures were taken earlier this spring when the lilacs and columbine were in bloom. Right now I have beautiful lilies in the vases.

I painted a plain white plastic Walmart fan gray and silver to add character to it..

IMG_6234

IMG_6222

I transferred the words onto the white pillow using carbon paper and a paint marker.

IMG_6233

The mod podge image transfer piece…(which you will hear more about soon)

IMG_6226

I am happy to say that I spent barely $30.00 on this makeover! The fabric for a few of the cushions comes from Jo-Anne fabrics and that was probably my main expense.

IMG_7178

I hope I can inspire you to use what you have and get a nice, new look to your home, which in turn can bring cheer to your life!

Blessings, Mary

3 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I love how this turned out...Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, I love how this turned out...Gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete