Thursday, January 29, 2015

Staircase makeover and coffee filter wreath

For a while now I’ve been eyeing our stairway and thinking it needs a new look. Ever since the kitchen was painted in whites and a touch of aqua, I thought the black and tan stairs and wall didn’t look right.

IMG_4946

I was also ready to have something else displayed on the wall.. something that wouldn’t fall off repeatedly. I can’t count the number of times those pictures were knocked off! I had to reglue the frames a few times. To see the tutorial on the wall art click here.

I didn’t have to think too long on what color to go with to give this space a face lift. Right now I can’t go wrong with whites. There’s nothing more refreshing to me than pure white! So white it was --- everything! I used a satin bright white Do it best brand paint from Ormes hardware for the walls and trim, including the backboard on the steps. I chose to go with a white oil base Rustoleum brand paint for the treads, also from Ormes hardware.

So again, here is the before..

IMG_4945

And the after…

 

IMG_5017

 

I like the wood beams with the white…

 

IMG_5019

IMG_5002

I redid the buffet at the same time as the staircase. You can read about that here.

I’ve  noticed these coffee filter wreaths on Pinterest and always wanted to give it a shot at making one, so here was my chance.

I’m sure there are numerous ways to create these, but here is what worked for me…

I took a green styrofoam wreath ( white would have been better, but I didn’t have one on hand) and I used around 300 regular coffee filters from Dollar General.

IMG_4950

IMG_49511

I used a pen to apply the filter so I wouldn’t risk burning my finger. My hot glue gun worked great to hold the filter in place. I basically just put the filter over the pen, applied the glue dot and stuck it onto the styrofoam.

After I covered the ring with filters, I dipped the wreath in coffee to get a stained look..

 

IMG_4952

At this point I was going to call it completed, but I didn’t like how the coffee stained color went with the white in the staircase so I began adding white filters. I ended up liking the two tone look better, plus the more filters were added, the better the wreath looked..

 

IMG_5012

IMG_5003

I hung it up with three different things before settling for a piece of vintage looking lace…

IMG_5011

I should also mention that I hung the wreath up separately with a t-pin so there wouldn’t be any weight on the filters. In other words, the lace is just for looks.

 

IMG_5020

On another note…

We are having winter weather here in northeastern Ohio!..might as well enjoy it..

 

IMG_5054

IMG_5030

Note the pink mittens Smile

Oh, and I did hear a woodpecker drum the other day,and the days are a little longer than they were at one time! Come, spring!

-Mary

2 comments:

  1. Love white. Love when others love snow!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the inspirational wreath.... as for winter, you have the snow/cold and we
    have the people....lol!!!!

    ReplyDelete