Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Easy DIY Plank Door

 

I can hardly believe we are in the month of September already! Seriously, where has the summer gone? I think I am still trying to get back into a routine after being on vacation a few weeks ago. Our chalkboard wall reminds us daily that vacation is over. This was how we found it upon coming home (thanks to a creative niece who needed to rub reality in) :/

IMG_5590

Before getting into the plank door I made, I need to share with you about the mysterious vine we have growing in our fire pit area. A few months ago I had it in my hand already to pull it, thinking it was a weed, but then noticed it looked different. I let it be and it kept on growing..

IMG_5636

Finally, the vine produced it’s fruit..

IMG_5624

The cutest little pumpkin/gourds! I probably tossed some back in the woods last fall and a seed managed to wash down to the fire pit area and sprout. How neat is that. :)

______________________________________________________________________________________

I always envisioned how much fun it would be to live in a farmhouse filled with character that farmhouses tend to have.. Old doors, high ceilings, and wide molding. But, I guess I’ll have to settle for the next best thing and add farmhouse touches to the home we have the best I can.

For a few years now I removed a closet door in our entryway area and placed a shelf/bench in it, along with a few hooks and totes. This is what it looked like:

IMG_5188

Since this is a catch all space, I began to grow weary of trying to keep it straightened up all the time, so I dug out the original door..

IMG_4440

I bought a sheet of quarter inch plywood for around $12, the kind that people use as an under layment on floors. I didn’t take a picture of the one I had gotten, but this image from online is similar..

plywood

I cut the plywood in 3 1/4” strips, using the table saw.

Starting in the middle of the door, I glued the strips down, pinning into place, using my air nailer.

I used a nickel to create a space between the strips.

IMG_4510

After filling the nail holes with putty and sanding, the door was ready for paint.

IMG_4512

I applied three coats of white Do It Best paint/primer in one, using a roller.

I scoured the local antique malls for an antique glass door knob, and finally, after a few weeks a friend of mine found one for around $20.

I had an old knob plate around here from a former door that I used. I didn’t refinish anything on the plate and I’m really impressed with how it blends in with the rest of the colors in our home. I painted the steel part of the knob a color that matched somewhat with the plate and distressed it. The knob is only for looks. I installed a magnetic latch inside the door for closing.

IMG_5618

Again the before, and then the after..

 

IMG_4440

IMG_5614

IMG_5188

IMG_5596

IMG_5592

I love the door, but of course, being the critic that I am, my eye is always drawn to the ugly thermostat on the wall beside the door. :/

I hope you are inspired to add touches to your home, making it to your taste and spending very little to do it!

Happy end of summer everyone! These days I am posting a lot of summer pictures on my Instagram if you are interested in seeing a last touch of summer.

Thanks for visiting!

3 comments:

  1. I have a piece of furniture to redo, and would love to have your opinion. Could I contact you via email?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure, send me an email..mynature7416@gmail.com

      Delete
  2. That chalkboard is extremely hilarious! The stages of vacation ending grief are real. But to help you get over that, how nice of a surprise were those cute tiny pumpkins? They came at the perfect time, a little Fall welcome from your home. Your finished door looks great! It looks like a completely different door and the white paint makes it really modern and elegant all at once.

    ReplyDelete