Thursday, September 15, 2016

Chest Makeover

 

Here’s a quick makeover I want to share with you. A few years ago someone gave this chest to me since they had no more use for it..

IMG_5733

I stored it in my furniture pound, as I like to call it and just the other day I dug it out and eyed it, trying to decide what I want to do with it. I turned it on it’s end. Could it be a little cupboard/locker piece?

IMG_5735

No, it was too short for a cabinet. It needed to stay on it’s bottom.

I tore off all the trim, since some of it was broken off anyway. I applied a coat of satin, water based white paint.

IMG_5738

As it dried, I tried to envision it being anything other than a coffin. It was tough. I knew I would need to add some major details to get it to look like a pleasant piece of furniture.

I casually asked my ten year old, who was in the shop at the time what he thinks this piece will be once I’m done with it. “I’m sure it will be nice once your finished, mom, but right now it kinda looks like a coffin” Sad smile

I applied another coat of paint and sanded it to distress it.

I added gray stripes, using electrical tape since the dollar store was out of masking tape..

IMG_20160913_162320357_HDR

I also put caster wheels on the bottom, a handle on the lid, and a French design on the front.

I think that took care of the coffin look. What do you think?

IMG_5848

 

IMG_5846

I think this piece would make a great coffee table, bench seat or blanket chest in the bedroom..

IMG_5853

I have intentions of selling the piece, but it would also look great in our bedroom. :) If it wasn’t so crowded already I’d probably keep it for a blanket chest.

IMG_5854

So again, here is the before and after. It never ceases to amaze me what paint and a few added details can do!

IMG_5733

IMG_5842

3 comments:

  1. Lovely makeover! I've read your blog for a couple years now, and I am always amazed at how you see potential in the homeliest of objects. Your talent and creativity is amazing - a gift from the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Mary! I just love what you did with this..it's so beautiful now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Mary! I just love what you did with this..it's so beautiful now!

    ReplyDelete