Sunday, September 27, 2015

Rustic Wedding Arbor

 

I am always fascinated when I go to a wedding and see all the pretty decorations and creative props. Not to say I don’t also marvel at the bride & groom and the spiffed up bridal party, but I do admit to almost looking more forward to seeing the display of center pieces, flowers and other neat décor.

I’ve always told hubby I would want to marry him again, just to decorate the wedding. :)

A little over 17 years ago we were married and had an Amish wedding, which had considerably less glitz, if you will, than the wedding we would have now. But, needless to say it was one of the best days of my life and we are just as “married” as a glitzy wedding would have made us.

But, as I was saying, I always thought someday I would love to make some props and decorations to rent out for a shabby chic-ish, rustic, vintagey kind of wedding. I figured a good place to start would be an arbor. After all, what looks more complete by the alter, or even in the back of the aisle where everyone walks through, than an arbor?

A few weeks ago I found some perfect old barn wood in a sale. I began envisioning an arbor. So, this past week I worked on one, in my spare time.

It was probably one of the more difficult things I ever made, mostly because I had to work with angles. (I was never a numbers person) It was also a challenge since I had to build it so that it could be fairly easily taken apart again to move it.

Here are some pictures I took along the way. I didn’t take step by step pics because of the complexity of it but you can see how it slowly evolved. It’s a far cry from perfect, but that’s the neat thing about rustic.. it doesn’t have to be perfect!

IMG_0210

 

IMG_0215

This beadboard looked like this when I bought it! It made my day. :)

 

IMG_0219

 

IMG_0221

 

IMG_0222

 

Finally, all painted and ready to use…

IMG_0270

 

IMG_0271

 

Old ship lap boards for the roof (they had the perfect finish already) …

IMG_0269

 

Bolts to fasten the posts…

IMG_0262

 

I will never tire of beadboard…

IMG_0260

 

IMG_0229

 

IMG_0245

 

Okay, lots of pictures from all angles :)..

IMG_0251

 

IMG_0254

 

IMG_0259

 

The sun was shining it’s brightest the day I took these so the lighting isn’t great, but I imagine this arbor decked out in burlap and flowers, or even sheer fabric would make it a nice display for a wedding, or even other parties.

IMG_0231

 

If you are local and are interested in renting this arbor or know of anyone that is, please let me know! You can contact me through my porchswings n’ honeysuckle facebook page.

Have a great week you all!

-Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment