I can hardly believe that I’m sitting outside in the dark on October 17th, typing this blog post! It’s a very pleasant 71 degrees,with a slight breeze going, and crickets singing on high. What awesome weather we are having!
Last week I made a sign that someone ordered for her boyfriend, who is a hunter.
I haven’t shared a sign tutorial in a while so I thought I would share this one.
It started out as a plain piece of maple wood..
I applied a dark stain, using a bristle brush. I rubbed some of the stain off before it dried, using an old t-shirt. I did this in sections.
After the stain was dry, I sanded the piece, to get the color a little lighter. I planned to use black paint for the letters that would go over the stain and wanted that to show up.
Before sanding After sanding
Next I found a silhouette of a deer that I downloaded and enlarged, using Microsoft Office Word. I played around with it until I had it the size I wanted. It ended up being six pieces of paper.
I taped it together and cut it out. This was my stencil.
I used double stick tape to tape it down and since I used my sprayer to apply the paint, I put stones along the edges of the deer so the paint wouldn’t creep underneath the stencil.
I then sanded the sign, especially around the edges.
Next I was ready to print out the letters. I played around until I had the right size. The font style I used is called Segoe Print.
I taped down all the letters and measured everything, to make sure I spaced it evenly.
I traced the letters using carbon paper to transfer.
I used yellow carbon paper for the letters that were on the stained part. It showed up much better than the black.
Before painting the letters, I stood back and eyed the sign, making sure everything looked evenly spaced.
I used a paint marker to color the letters.
And the final result..
Of all the techniques I have used in making signs, this is still the one that will turn out best for me. It takes a little more time, but it is usually worth it!
I hope you are all having a lovely fall. Thanks for visiting!