Saturday, September 22, 2012

Simple Quilt set tutorial

When I redid my son’s bedroom I got so tired of searching for that perfect quilt and finally I decided to make one. We wanted to have a nautical theme for his room and I was looking for a twin sized quilt that had grays and whites and maybe some blue in it. The closest one I found that was what I wanted was a duvet cover from Pottery Barn…
duvet
Of course, I really didn’t want to spend that much money and it didn’t have quite the colors that I wanted so I made a trip to a local fabric outlet store and picked out the colors that I wanted…
IMG_6421
I also got some thread (just the regular kind),some thin cotton batting, and white fabric for the back.
After cutting random sized strips (anywhere from 2” to 51/2”, I sewed them together. I didn’t follow any certain pattern when deciding what color to put next.
IMG_6430
After I had the right size for a twin bed I put the white backing on the floor and the cotton batting on top of that. I then put the pieced quilt top on the batting and pinned everything together. Then I tried something I never did before..I quilted it on my sewing machine! To some of you that’s probably not a big deal but I grew up amish and we always quilted by hand…not my favorite thing to do! It worked great on the sewing machine and I would definitely do it again. After binding it, this is how it turned out…
IMG_6451
Not the best picture, but you can kind of see how it turned out. Now, the sham… I also cut different sized strips of fabric and sewed together. I followed the same steps as the quilt and then I wanted to personalize it. I printed out the lettering I wanted from my computer and transferred it using carbon paper…
IMG_6422         IMG_6423
IMG_6424         IMG_6425
After I cut them out I sewed them onto an iron on interfacing and cut around that.
IMG_6427

    Now they were ready to iron on. I made so
    they would end up on a light colored fabric
    making them show up more.

Now for a matching lamp shade and picture frame…
IMG_6491
This was the shade before that I got at a thrift store…
IMG_6429
You can’t tell so well in the picture but it is an ugly tan with gold trimming. I didn’t get a picture of the lamp which was a rich yellow color. I spray painted that with white paint. I gave $2.00 for it.
Again, I cut strips of fabric and sewed an iron on on the backs…
IMG_6431
I then proceeded to iron the fabric onto the shade. I covered my hand that was in the shade with fabric so I wouldn’t burn myself…
IMG_6432
IMG_6433
IMG_6434
I let the top and bottom fabrics stick out a half inch over the shade. I then used a fabric glue to glue and iron.
For the picture frame, I just covered it with one of the fabrics and stapled to hold..
IMG_6435
A thrift store find for a quarter.
IMG_6438
Great results for not a lot of money and time!
IMG_6491

No comments:

Post a Comment